« Back to Home

You Think You've Been The Victim Of Medical Malpractice. Now What?

Posted on

Receiving care from a medical practitioner requires a lot of trust. You need to trust that the doctors and nurses who treat you will do their best to heal you, without causing you harm. Unfortunately, sometimes that trust is broken. If you feel that you've been the victim of medical malpractice, there are steps you can take to seek restitution. Here are the three first things that you should do if you feel that you've been wronged by your healthcare provider:

1. Find a lawyer.

If you think that you've been the victim of medical malpractice, the first thing you should do is find an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice cases. Gather all of your relevant medical records and make an appointment to speak with your lawyer.

Many lawyers will offer a free initial consultation, where you can discuss your case and the possible options available to you. A lawyer can help you to determine whether you have a solid medical malpractice case.

2. File your claim in a timely fashion.

If you think that medical malpractice has occurred, don't wait to seek the help that you need. Medical malpractice claims are civil claims, which means that they have a statute of limitations. Make sure to consult with your lawyer and file your claim as soon as possible to ensure that you don't miss your chance to get the justice that you deserve.

Each state may have different statutes of limitation, so make sure to find out how long you have to file a claim in your particular state of residence.

3. Get the opinion of another medical professional.

In order to be considered a victim of medical malpractice, the doctor in question has to have given you inadequate care that did not follow standard procedures. Another medical professional can help you to prove that this was the case by examining both you and your medical records.

With another doctor's expert opinion that the care you received was inadequate and at fault for you injury, your lawyer may file a "certificate of merit."  A certificate of merit is a document that officially declares that both your lawyer and a medical expert agree that your case is valid.

Being the victim of medical malpractice can be a frightening, upsetting experience. You may feel powerless and angry at being exposed to an inadequate standard of medical care. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to rectify the situation. Filing a claim of medical malpractice may seem daunting, but by following these three steps and hiring a medical malpractice lawyer, you will be well on your way to resolving your issue for the better.